Thursday, March 3, 2011

dang holograms!

Friday Favorite #4
Scott Kurtz

Scott Kurtz is best known for his webcomic PVPonline.  Kurtz posted the first PVP comic on May 4, 1998.  I was first introduced to PVP through my favorite webcomic artist Tyson Hesse.  Hesse did a guest strip for PVP and is huge fan of PVP (check on the guest strip here).

I have to admit the first time I looked at PVP I didn't like it.  I honestly don't know what was wrong with me!  I must have jumped into a story arch at the wrong time or just was too centered on Hesse's work (Boxer Hockey was the only comic I read for a while).  But I have since repented of that sin, and have been reading PVP off and on for the last year and have just recently started to become an avid reader of it.  I haven't had time to go back and read the entire archive yet, but the most recent story lines have been self contained enough that I don't feel lost.

http://www.pvponline.com/2010/09/16/imaginary-friends-2/
PVPonline started out as a video game comic, hence the name Player vs. Player (not Protoss vs Protoss).  But Kurtz's comic has evolved to be much more than a comic about video games to an office comic of sorts.  PVP follows the lives of the employes of a video game magazine company.  In addition to his change of story, Kurtz 's art work has grown and improved massively over the years and so have his characters.  You will care and love these characters!  Kurtz is definitely a master when it comes to the art of webcomics and storytelling.

For those of you who want to read PVP but don't know where to start I have a suggestion for you.  Kurtz recently opened a new story arch with the company moving out to Seattle.  I feel like this is a great place to start, and if  you're from the Northwest you'll no doubt enjoy the local humor!  Just make sure when you've finished you go backwards and read more!  There are so incredible comics you don't want to miss.


Scott Kurtz is an artist you need to follow.

Scott Kurtz links:
PVPonline
twitter (language warning)
webcomics weekly (a podcast about the art of making webcomics) (also language warning)

PVP is what I wish My Skinny Jeans are Red was.  Great solid characters with interesting relationships and issues, amazing artwork, beautiful colors, and just overall a genuinely unique and touching webcomic.

-Aaron

P.S: I have been receiving remarks that the Friday Favorites are too long.  Tell me what you think in the comments section below.  Would you rather have long Friday Favorites (i.e.Mare Odomo & Tyson Hesse) that really go in depth on the artist and all his/her projects, or would you rather have them short and sweet (i.e. Scott Kurtz & Kate Beaton)?

3 comments:

  1. But Protoss vs. Protoss (or Brotoss as it might be called) is so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like 'em short, because it's easier to read (and frankly, easier to write). Plus, it forces more of a focus on the work than on the artist, which I think is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might like them short...but I still like them.

    ReplyDelete